Skip to main content

Is Sleep Overrated?


I am not sure about you but I have a hard time getting sleep and quality of sleep. I normally get between 7-10 hours depending on what time I went to bed and what time I took my medication.

One of my anti-depressants that I am on also puts me to sleep, it shuts off all the random thoughts and the mania that could be going through my head. Downfall to this medicine is when you don't sleep enough hours or you toss and turn and are up and down all night the next day you feel fatigued.

Are you getting enough sleep? According to the Sleep Foundation if you have depression or anxiety you should be getting 7-9 hours a sleep a night.

Do you workout? Did you know you need sleep to help your muscles heal, to help your body heal in general. According to BodyBuilding.com you should be getting 8-11 hours of sleep.

All in all the Sleep Foundation has stated 7-9 hours depending on your health and how you generally sleep. 

So how do you sleep???

As I stated above I take a pill that helps me go to sleep. Most people that take this medication fall asleep quickly and stay asleep all night. I however take about an hour to fall asleep. I do not stay asleep all night. I am working on trying to make that better though. Below are some things I have started doing to try and improve my sleep.

1. I use Chamomile, Lavender and Jasmine in my essential oil burner. I turn it on for a few minutes before I go to bed and I have it run for 2 hours.

2. I take Valerian Root... 1,350mg, it really has helped a lot. If you do try this just make sure it doesn't interact poorly with any prescriptions you might be taking.

3. I use the Relax Melody app on my iPhone, I like the campfire sound and I have it run for an hour and a half.

4. I won't drink caffeine past 5, a lot of sites and dr's will tell you not to drink past 2. I have some days where I have no energy at all so I will take 2 Five Hours that day. Caffeine doesn't effect me as well as it does other people.

5. I have been trying to go to bed every night within the same 1 hour window.

6. Lastly I practice the Navy breathing technique: breath in through your nose and count to 4, hold that breath for 4 seconds and then exhale through your mouth for 4 seconds.



These are just the things that I am trying. If you truly are having a hard time sleeping or you are fatigued the next day talk to your dr. If you want to try natural things first, give some of my suggestions a go or research sleep help and try other things you find. Then if that doesn't work contact your dr. Sleep is important!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tapout MMA Boxing Combo Kit

We went to Kmart tonight to get our layaway out, which included some boxing gloves but we forgot to put the pads in layaway. As we were trying to decide on the pads, we found an awesome deal! We got the Tapout MMA Boxing Combo Kit .   Our Kmart had it marked down to $19.00 from $39.00! Right now I also found them at Kmart.com for $26.00 which would save you 31% (but if I were you, I would check your local Kmart first). Happy Boxing! This Tapout MMA curved focus mitts and gloves combo for adults offers everything you need to start training for your next sparring match Set includes two focus mitts and two striking gloves for adults Durable polyurethane construction means mitts stand up to lots of action Vented mitt back allows for optimal breathability Curved ball grip gives mitt maximum durability and comfort Mitt's guided channels help ensure proper finger placement Reinforced stitching between glove fingers for extra durability and long-lasting use Exposed finger de

Buffalo Chicken Nachos

  Football has started so everyone wants something to snack on BUT I even look for something different for dinner. I tried to look up buffalo chicken shit on a shingle with no recipes but I came across this one. Now you can do the nachos or you can create your own shit on a shingle version with a piece of toast and melted cheese on top of the toast with the buffalo chicken on top...hmmmm... Anyways, here ya go. Recipe makes 6-8 servings. What you'll need: Nachos.... 1/3 - 1/2c you're favorite hot sauce 3c cooked shredded chicken 8-10oz tortilla chips 1 1/3 - 2c shredded Mexican blend cheese Topping.... 1/2c plain greek yogurt 3-5T more of hot sauce 3-4 green onions thinly sliced Create: Preheat the oven to 400˚F. In a medium bowl, mix the hot sauce with the shredded chicken until well coated. Set aside. Place the tortilla chips in an even layer on a baking sheet, face side up so the chips will hold the toppings. Add the chicken evenly over the chips, followed by the cheese. Bak

Home Remedies for Sinus Drainage

Every time I get a sinus infection I have sinus drainage forever or at least it seems so I had looked up ways to help the drainage. Below are a few ideas to try next time you start looking like Rudolph. Drink plenty of fluids Run a humidifier or vaporizer Use saline solution and or a Neti Pot (make your own mixture for the Neti Pot by dissolving 1tsp of sea salt in 1 pint of distilled water. Add a pinch of baking soda to the mixture.) Steam! Boil some water and add some eucalyptus oil to the water (you can use Walmart's brand for this). Lower the pot to a simmer and take a towel over your head and put your head over the pot. Chicken Soup, yes you read that right! A 2000 study found that chicken soup reduces inflammation associated with sinus congestion, runny nose and colds. Warm & Cold Compresses, lay back with the warm compress draped across your nose, cheeks and forehead for 3 minutes. Remove and replace with a cold compress for 30 second